Monday, September 7, 2009

Whole Wheat - Flax Bread Using A Bread Maker

My Mother-in-law gave me an awesome bread maker a couple of years ago for Christmas. I've attempted making bread a handful of times with the machine, but the result was always dry. I finally pin pointed some of my problems and I hope you can learn from my mistakes.

MISTAKES I MADE: 
~Using ONLY whole wheat flour rather than a combination of flours
~Using fast action yeast. I know this stuff must work, but I always had problems with my bread not rising. 
~Not using molasses. The inclusion of this ingredient turned the bread from bland to yummy. 
~Trying to use whole flax seeds rather than flax meal. Besides appearance, there's no reason to use whole flax seeds since your body digests ground flax better. 
~I never added vital wheat gluten. When added, the bread has a spongier, soft consistency. 

After searching the internet for tips people had regarding vegan bread making using bread makers, I settled on the ingredients below and was thrilled with the results. 

MAKES 2 POUND LOAF

In your bread maker add the following ingredients in this order: 
~11 ounces water (room temperature)
~1 1/2 tsp sea salt
~1 1/2 tbsp (no sugar added) apple sauce
~2 tbsp molasses (spray your measuring spoon with oil first and the molasses rolls right out of the spoon)
~2 cups wheat flour for bread making
~1 cup whole wheat flour for bread making
~1/2 cup wheat bran
~1 tsp vital wheat gluten
~1/4 cup ground flax
Make a well in the middle and add:
~2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Set bread maker for the following:
~2 pound loaf
~Whole wheat setting
~Medium darkness

Once bread is done, remove from bread maker and cool on rack. This bread tasted really good warm.Â