Friday, October 2, 2009

World Vegetarian Day in NYC

where the journey began

I spent yesterday, October 1, in New York celebrating the anniversary of Ghandi's birthday and World Vegetarian Day. I took the subway down to Bleeker Street for an early dinner at Sacred Chow. This was my first visit, and I'm sure it won't be my last. In fact, I think I'll have to come up with excuses to get down to the city more often just so I can sample the vast array of tapas offered there.

I decided on the Indonesian Tempeh with Peanut Sauce, Grilled Korean Tofu with Pickled Vegetables and Sauted Shiitake Mushrooms with Sunflower Seeds and South Indian Dipping Sauce. My favorite was a tossup between the tempeh and tofu, but I also loved that dipping sauce (gotta get the recipe!). It arrived at the table on this beautiful cake tower which made the meal feel that much more special.

so pretty... so delicious

In the background, as I was taking pictures of my dinner, I spotted a gentleman who looked rather familiar. I held a glass to the wall and discovered the conversation was about farm animals, interns, and the Walk for Farm Animals this weekend. "Ahh," I immediately thought to myself, "that's Gene Baur, founder of Farm Sanctuary!" How cool is that? He chose the lentil pate.

In the evening, I attended a gluten-free vegan baking class by the wonderful Korrie Chichester, vegan chef and former baker at Babycakes.

This was held at the Natural Gourmet Institute on 21st Street. I've attended many classes there, all of which have been amazing. They have an incredible staff of instructors, awesome kitchens in which to work, and are an easy commute from New Haven. I love going there.

if only I had one of these setups in my house...

We made a delicious array of slightly sinful desserts such as Deep Dark Chocolate Cake with Cashew Cream Frosting, Pumpkin Pie Waffles with Cinnamon Maple Drizzle, Blueberry Muffins with Pecan Streusel, Chocolate Chip Blondies (the best ever!), Cranberry Filled Crepes (yes - without eggs or wheat flour, and no gritty texture from the brown rice flour. Truly amazing!) , Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits with Coconut Whip.

gorgeous little gluten-free biscuits that were the bottom layer
of the strawberry shortcake

itty bitty coconut chocolate chip cookies
that packed a load of flavor

perfectly cakey blueberry muffins

I am so excited about this amazing class that I'm planning to attend Part II in 2 weeks. Can't wait!